Tuesday, September 18, 2007


So today we are sharing a fun idea. Mine is an idea that my SIL passed along to me. It's not so much "fun" but useful. I buy big packages of hamburger meat so I always separate it into portions. The problem was that it always took a long time to defrost. My SIL suggested using Ziploc Freezer Bags and mashing the meat flat. Then to defrost it you put it in a hot water and within five minutes it's ready. It's also much easier to store in your freezer. For more great ideas head over to Rocks in my Dryer!

7 people love me:

Michelle said...

Yep, I use the bags or plastic wrap for my meat. And not to be rude here, but I just read (like Sunday) that it's not safe to thaw meat of any kind with hot water. I've been doing this for years and I never knew that it could be a problem. It can actually cause bacteria to form. I had no idea! So I hope that was ok to pass along.

Michelle said...

Oh, forgot to add that it IS ok to use cold water to thaw meat. :)

Natalie said...

Great idea!

Stacey said...

I had no idea about that Michelle. I've been doing that since I got married. Thanks for the info.

(BTW you weren't rude at all)

Kara said...

I always separate my hamburger into freezer bags too, but defrost in my fridge the night before or in my microwave :)

Anonymous said...

this idea is BRILLIANT!! thanks for sharing :O) i can use all the extra space i can get

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

This is a great idea! I never thought about mashing it flat.

Thanks for sharing this great tip!